Friday 8 June 2007

I'll give you fish, I'll give you candy

When I was about 13, one of the only ways of being subversive & sticking two fingers up at the status quo of tribal, parental, religious control was through music. How many times have we heard that, from the fifties till today? It's nothing new, but it's new for each person who feels constricted by cultural rules & expectations, who kicks against constraint. I was born in the autumn after the summer of love, I was too late for punk, too early for the rave scene...but what I had was an insatiable ear for anything that was different...didn't matter what genre, if anyone else had heard of it, if it was cool...I just followed my gut instinct...if it hooked me on some level & I wanted to hear it again,I'd tape it off the radio. That's how I came upon this gorgeous gem from the B52's. They've since become synonymous with fright wigs, a parody of the fifties with 'Love Shack', but back then when I heard this at 13 I was transfixed. Remember, this was before the age of video, the UK only had four TV channels

Enjoy...

2 comments:

Bunny said...

You've been tagged, Sophry - come to my blog for the info!

SheenV said...

I *love* the B-52's!! Thank you for posting this!!